Monday, January 2, 2012

polaroid: ann mcgarry

She shoots Polaroids. It’s how she remembers.
You've probably heard me speak of her before: Ann McGarry, The Polaroid Queen. I am happy and proud to announce that this royal friend has a solo show up at Albina Press here in Portland.
In her words, “the photos of Polaroid: Ann McGarry illustrate the last 15 years of my life. Polaroids are my memory, as my actual memory is spotty at best. The photo I took at 3:00 PM on the afternoon the Hollywood Hills were on fire, the day that migraine almost crushed me, beer with an old friend, the heat wave from that one fall…all catalogued and viewed as my visual diary, helping me recall time and space which seem to always elude me.” 
She gives you a glimpse into her world, inviting you in with beauty, humor and wit. I love the way her photographs make me feel by conjuring up a memory, and giving meaning to the mundane. There are just a couple of more days to catch this work in person, so treat yourself to a delicious cup of coffee and get lost in some beautifully crafted photographs. 
All images courtesy of Ann McGarry.   
Albina Press, 5012 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, Oregon 
Closes January 4, 2012.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails