Hello April. It's been too long since I've written. I trust that spring's arrival is treating you well. Lately, I've been making a conscious effort to create more balance in my life. Taking care of myself and those around me has become a priority, which means more face-to-face time and less spent in front of the screen. There are dueling sides, as part of me feels a pull to share photographs and stories that I truly care about, while the other longs to be out in nature, preferring handwritten letters to emails, a walk to a browse, and instead of a stationary stance, I want to be moving and making.
As I've said before, my recent stillness here is met with lots of movement out there. For the past several months, I've been craving enrichment - in all facets of my life. I find now that my "school days" are over (for the moment) I have to seek out my own enrichment, and luckily, I'm in a city that is bountiful. We are trained to put so much weight on work, priding ourselves when we do it to the point of fatigue, and so often neglect the power of play. We quickly fall into the trap of the humdrum day-to-day, fostering negativity and malaise where complaints outweigh compliments. I admit, I've been guilty of this tunnel vision of work, not allowing myself to make room for imagination, fun and even R & R (which is not my strong suit). Life can be messy, so it takes reminders to let go, savor and enjoy. In an effort to do just that, I'm weaving more of this into my daily life. Big or small, it's about simple pleasures, learning and growth. Ultimately, I'm finally just doing something about it.
Here is what's on the list for April. Just thinking about it brings me gratitude and a smile.
- Photographing the explosion of cherry blossoms - before they fall. I know I won't be alone on this one.
- Doing more & more barre3. Have you tried it? The classes and community are amazing.
- Committing to a healthier lifestyle.
- Painting my workspace white & bright! (This was on the list for January - whoops)
- Going to the ballet with a friend, who has access to student tickets. Ah to be a student again, and be able to see amazing performances at student ticket prices. I'd be a forever student if I could.
- Enjoying Portland Photo Month.
- Finding a yoga class. Someone just told me about Vinyasa by candlelight here. Sounds dreamy.
- Discovering the colors of the tulips that are popping up.