Tuesday, January 4, 2011

catalyst: jody + matty

The weather is turning cold here in Portland, and before hibernation begins, I feel compelled to reminisce in a sun-drenched evening among dear friends that wasn’t too long ago. Even though this kind of warmth feels decades away, it was October sun, which always seems a little bit sweeter before the gray descends. We headed to The Dalles and enjoyed an evening of friendship, music, beauty and late autumn light surrounded by rolling hills. Shooting in an expansive landscape with big skies is something I absolutely love to do and hold dear.  
Late November, I posted a little something about a new project of mine, called cat·a·lyst, where I acknowledge people that have caused some type of change in my life, or perhaps I just want to let you know about these individuals and their artistic talents, share a story, or give thanks.  Allow me to introduce two of my own personal catalysts, Jody and Matty. They are creative powerhouses. Jody and Matty immerse themselves in music, and Jody also creates beautiful, vibrant paintings, and Matty some of the most gorgeous pieces out of wood and metal. 
My first meeting of these two included them bringing over a collection of homegrown vegetables and a warm welcome to my new neighborhood. This first interaction says a lot about them – they are salt of the earth, engaged in their community, and meet newness with open arms. Since then, they have grown from neighbors to kindred spirits, and perhaps without their knowledge, they have been memorable teachers for me. They have taught me how important it is to get back to the roots of things, the value of togetherness, and how life can be rich with artful experiences, all while helping me find the courage to accept the creative lifestyle that I love to live. These soulful songbirds also remind me that especially during difficult times, the small, simple moments – in nature and with others, can be the most precious.
Forgive me for being long-winded. I guess I had a lot to say about these two. I hope you enjoy the photographs from our evening, celebrating their affection for music, nature, friendship and each other. 
(Click on the photos to view larger. I think they look nicer that way). 
To learn more about the premise of this project, please feel free to click here.
To learn more about Jody’s work, please visit here, here or here.
To learn more about Matty’s work, please visit here or here.



4 comments:

Sugarmama said...

What an amazing tribute - they are salty and wonderful! Beautiful photos - Stacy

Anonymous said...

Sweet pictures, and even sweeter words! The old-folks aint so bad sometimes and I guess we all have a thing or two to learn from them. I was just telling Alyx this morning how I admire Jody and Matty's lifestyle for it's simplicity. Any hoot, glad to hear your keeping the dream alive. Maybe we'll see you the next time we're down in Port-land.

Jody said...

Kimi,
Thank you so much for such a wonderful day out shooting these moments! I keep returning to look and each time, see more....
I am at a loss for words when it comes to letting you know how deeply you have moved us through both your images and your words.

Stacey Richards Murray said...

You have truly captured the spirit of these two beautiful people.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails