Tuesday, March 13, 2012

march madness...in the name of love.

Wedding season is on the horizon, and before the whirlwind begins, I’ve taken a little time to reflect during these quieter months. When I sit down to meet with couples, I am asked about my approach and how I began documenting weddings. In the spirit of honesty, (this is honestly kimberly) when I started my journey in photography, which was over ten years ago now, I shied away from weddings. The knowledge I had of wedding photography was very traditional, what I knew as stiffly posed, staged photographs. I found these images a bit flat; I always wanted more. I wanted to hear the laughter, witness the crazy aunt on the dance floor, and see the couple secretly having a moment away. I should state that I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with this traditional type of photography, as it takes great skill, patience, and talent, and I do admire those who pursue it. I just knew it wasn’t for me, and my heart was interested in what was happening in the wings. 
With time and an open mind, I discovered that there was a story to be told, and even though it was unconventional at the time, I could tell that love story with a creative eye, and through my natural style of photography. With my photojournalism and fine art background, this was an idea that really excited me. I could get behind this type of wedding photography – wedding photojournalism. And so I stuck to my guns, knowing full and well that this approach wasn’t for everyone, and realized that this was how I loved to photograph weddings.
When documenting a special celebration, I strive to make those memories tangible through my photographs. And during the process, I’ve realized (and continue to realize) what an honor it is to be able to document that for someone – to be witness to two people committing to a life together. It is such a privilege to be present during this type of celebration, to capture the beauty, togetherness, quiet nervous moments, raucous laughter and happy tears.
I am the first to say that I’m not the photographer for everyone. I know that, and I feel it’s very important to recognize. When I was a beginner, it was difficult to find that voice, and express that individuality, knowing it wasn’t of universal interest.  But as I grow, I realize how important it is to work with like-minded souls to do the job to the best of my abilities. I am with a couple for very intimate, emotionally charged moments throughout the day, so I find it important that a comfort level is found for both parties. I describe myself as an eager observer, meaning that I’ll mainly exist in the background, but step forward when needed. That’s why I feel there is value in getting to know the couples that I photograph and allow them to get to know me. Let’s share a meal, or a cup of coffee and conversation. I want to know what makes you tick, what’s important to you, and what you hope for in the days ahead. Because all of this matters. For me, making beautiful, soulful photographs is rooted in trust and collaboration.  
Your wedding day happens fast. It is truly fleeting. When you look back at your wedding photographs, I want you to feel as if you were there. While reminiscing, I hope that the emotions you were experiencing that day are palpable through the imagery. I document the day as it unfolds, finding beauty and wonder throughout the celebration, capturing genuine moments, and showing that the love between a couple, and close friends & family is anything but ordinary.
To continue the celebratory March Madness month, all weddings booked by March 31, 2012 will receive ::: $100 ::: off of the wedding photography package!   
Offer valid for 2012 weddings in & around the city of Portland.  We do travel for love, so please feel free to inquire about the details. To view love + wedding images, please visit www.kimikolbaphoto.com. Thank you for looking. xoxo

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails